★•.•´¯`•.•★Campground Reviews★•.•´¯`•.•★

click above link to visit our campground reviews

Monday, December 22, 2008

~~~ EGGNOG~~~


IF YOU SEE A FAT MAN ...

Who's jolly and cute,
Wearing a beard and a red flannel suit,



And if he is chuckling
and laughing away,


While flying around in a miniature sleigh,
With eight tiny reindeer to pull him along,

Then let's face it...
Your eggnog's too strong!



EGGNOG

This wonderful Egg Nog is light and fluffy, as well as rich and creamy. Its cloudlike texture is produced by separating the eggs and beating the whites before adding them to the milk mixture. The egg nog base can be made one day in advance. All you need do is to beat the stiff egg whites and whipped cream just before serving.

INGREDIENTS:

· 12 Eggs, separated
· 1 1/2 cups Sugar
· 1 quart Whole Milk
· 1 1/2 quarts Heavy Cream
· 3 cups Bourbon
· 1/2 cup Dark Rum (more if you like it strong)
· 2 cups Cognac
· 1 quart Vanilla Ice Cream (softened)
· Freshly grated Nutmeg

Preparing the Egg Nog:

1. In a very large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Gradually add sugar to the yolks. With a wire whisk, beat in milk and 1 quart cream. Add the bourbon, rum and cognac, stirring constantly. This cooks the egg mixture.
2. Just before serving, beat the egg whites until stiff, adding a little sugar to sweeten. Fold into the egg mixture. Whip the remaining 1/2 quart heavy cream until stiff and fold it in. Then fold in the ice cream.
3. Sprinkle with nutmeg
OR

Egg Nog is a traditional holiday drink brought to America in the late 1700s by European settlers. The term "Nog" is an old English word for ale. The rich creamy drink was enhanced in the Old South by adding Bourbon Whiskey and is an original recipe. To make the finest egg nog possible we've added our finest Bourbon Whiskey.

Evan Williams Original Southern Egg Nog is a delicious blend of egg nog with Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and other fine spirits. Just chill, pour into a punch bowl, and garnish with nutmeg, cinnamon or mint leaves. It makes a great holiday entertaining tradition even better and easier - the spirits are already blended into the egg nog!

I love Evan Williams Egg Nog but to keep it a little milder I mix it with store bought egg nog. Then add a little sprinkle of nutmeg on top...

Santa Claus

The original Santa Claus, St. Nicholas, was born in Turkey in the 4th century. He was very pious from an early age, devoting his life to Christianity. He became widely known for his generosity for the poor. But the Romans held him in contempt. He was imprisoned and tortured. But when Constantine became emperor of Rome, he allowed Nicholas to go free. Constantine became a Christian and convened the Council of Nicaea in 325. Nicholas was a delegate to the council. He is especially noted for his love of children and for his generosity. He is the patron saint of sailors, Sicily, Greece, and Russia. He is also, of course, the patron saint of children. The Dutch kept the legend of St. Nicholas alive. In 16th century Holland, Dutch children would place their wooden shoes by the hearth in hopes that they would be filled with a treat. The Dutch spelled St. Nicholas as Sint Nikolaas, which became corrupted to Sinterklaas, and finally, in Anglican, to Santa Claus. In 1822, Clement C. Moore composed his famous poem, "A Visit from St. Nicholas," which was later published as "The Night Before Christmas." Moore is credited with creating the modern image of Santa Claus as a jolly fat man in a red suit. However, his authorship is controversial. Some scholars suggest that it was Henry Livingston Jr. who wrote the poem.


Merry Christmas and a Happy 2OO9
Until Later

Hugs And Kisses
Christmas Lights

19 comments:

Bridget said...

I'm looking forward to hubby's fav egg nog recipe that sounds a lot like this one. I like to mix the bottled stuff with store bought too and the fresh nutmeg makes it!

Raxx - A day in the life said...

This sounds so delish! and very similar to the Trinidad version of egg nog, we call it 'Ponch De Creme' I'm making mine today! I like it strong too!

Jerry and Suzy said...

If you are very nice, Donna, maybe we'll send you our recipe for Tortiere, our family's traditional Christmas breakfast from at least my grandmother's day. She came from Quebec Province and brought the recipe with her around the year 1900. We have slimmed it down to a lower fat version, but it's just as delicious as it used to be.

Thanks for the eggnog recipe - if we had that version, I'd never get to church on Christmas!

Lin said...

Oh yes, it's cold here --I love your Santas .... jolly ol' fella!! Stay warm and cozy!!

Anonymous said...

Morning, Dear One! Oh, my,I had better leave this stuff alone! I'm messed up enough as it is!!
Hope your day is filled with Wonderness!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

SmilingSally said...

I always like my egg nog without any liquor; I'm strange like that. Thanks for the history on Santa.

Anonymous said...

well,no wonder.i swear i thought i saw your e-mail was yahoo.com.i'll send them right now...ann

Anonymous said...

We have a neighbor that makes the best eggnog I have ever tasted, and I don't even like the stuff. But, his is so good I have it. He uses the bottle eggnog and ice cream and booze. I don't know all the details, just know it is always a must at his party.

Hugs,
Chris

Sharon said...

Good morning! The eggnog sounds delicious but I'm more intrigued but the information surrounding Santa Claus. We have moved the image far from its origin and lost something in the move - I believe. Thanks for a very interesting post - as usual.

Anonymous said...

did you get it?i sent it and about 20 others to 2000yahoo.then again all of them to 2000hotmail.now i just sent it to hotmail.if you didn't get them e-mail me @jamesaskelton@yahoo.com,please and i'll get it right...ann

Sue said...

Hey Donna my maiden name is Livingston, I may be related to a poet and not know it! LOL!! That egg nog sounds soooooo GOOD, I can't wait to have mine, I could drink down a gallon in no time flat! LOL!! Merry Christmas sweetie! xoxox

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I've never tried Egg Nog. I think it's the name that's kept me from tasting. It sounds rich and creamy though. I love custard and this sounds like a liquid custard that's been jazzed up.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Deb said...

Hi Donna! I bought a carton of Egg Nog around Thanksgiving and forgot about it. When I looked at the expiration date it had gone bad. I can't remember when I'm in the store to get more. Deb

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Donna...after the last couple of days I have had girl...bring on the egg nog and I'll take my chances on seeing the Big Boy..hope all is well with Ralph Donna and with you..still love that bouncing snowman so cute or is that just too much egg nog also...Hugs and smiles Gloria

Stacey said...

Oh that egg nog sounds good! About 4,000 calories per cup? Mmmmm!!

Justine said...

Mmm... that sounds like such a good recipe, Donna! We make homemade Bailey's every year and boy is it a hit!

Justine :o )

Bo said...

Hic-cup...oh, sorry Donna...I'm down deep in your egnog recipe... hehe, I do wish we could share a cup together...maybe next year dear friend! ;-) Bo

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Donna, I just figured out I can get to you blog a lot easier through the google reader. I've had so much trouble downloading your blog. I think it must be the glitter graphics. I love glitter graphic. But they sure slow things down for my computer.
Anyway, I wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas!!
Hugs, Terrie

bj said...

It's only 7:50 in the morning here and I AM WANTING EGG NOG, laced with all the delicious liquors.....bwaaaaaaaa.....
OK, I'll probably go buy some prepared nog because i always worry about the raw eggs...i love homemade egg nog better than anything and my daddy used to make it every Christmas...my mom said the whiskey "cooked" the eggs but .....i got my doubts. haha..

Photobucket

Get your mamogram & check up today... Early detection saved my life....

breast_cancer_survivor

My Awards