★•.•´¯`•.•★Campground Reviews★•.•´¯`•.•★

click above link to visit our campground reviews

Saturday, December 20, 2008

~~~ 12 Days of Christmas~~~

Well the days are getting short till the BIG event.... Are you ready??? I think I am...

To Do List:
Decorations done
Presents bought
Presents Wrapped
Cards mailed out
Holiday baking done
Menu Planned
Take kids to see Santa
Groceries bought
Watch Christmas movies
Attend Holiday parties
So it is time to relax and wait for the big day... Tonight & tomorrow we will watched The Santa Clause I, II, & III..... and drink Hot Chocolate.... I hope you all are close to being ready too....

There is one Christmas Carol I have always loved (especially to sing) but it has always baffled me. What in the world do leaping lords, French hens, swimming swans, and especially the partridge who won't come out of the pear tree have to do with
Christmas?


This week, I found out. From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted to practice their faith openly. Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics. It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known only to members of their church. Each element in the carol has a code word for a religious reality which the children could remember.


  1. The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ

  2. Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.

  3. Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.

  4. The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

  5. The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.

  6. The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

  7. Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

  8. The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

  9. Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.

  10. The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

  11. The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

  12. The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

So there is your history for today. This knowledge was shared with me and I found it interesting and enlightening and now I know how that strange song became a Christmas Carol...so pass it on if you wish.



'Merry (Twelve Days of) Christmas Everyone!

Until Later

Hugs And Kisses

Christmas Lights

26 comments:

Stacey said...

That is so interesting - never heard that bit of music history!

Merry Christmas!

Lisa (aka) French said...

That was truly interesting/ I am happy one of us is caught up! Other than the decorating that's the only thing I have done (ugh) but It always manages to come together even if at the last minute;) French xoxoxo

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

So interesting! I never knew any of this. Thank you for educating me. I wish I was ready to relax and watch Christmas movies. I'm afraid I've still got a little shopping to do! I just love when you come over to my blog and leave a message! It's always such fun to read one of your comments. Thanks, friend! laurie

Kristens Creations said...

Must be nice to be caught up!lol. I'm going out tomorrow to finish up my shopping (hopefully). I have gone several times, but I just walk around aimlessly. I'm so disorganized, I haven't even made out a list. I enjoyed the history lesson, it was very interesting! Thanks for visiting mom and dad's house! Talk to you soon, Kristen

The Muse said...

I love learning new things!

Anonymous said...

I'm never caught up, but I'll be ready somehow when my party begins on Christmas Eve. But, I love every minute of it. :)

Love Ya,
Chris

SmilingSally said...

I was all ready to rush, click, copy and come back with the answer to your question. Then you answered it!

Bo said...

Good morning Donna...I've always wondered about the lyrics to that song too...& thanks to you, I now know...hope I can remember it!
Merry Christmas, ;-) Bo

Lin said...

Wow, Donna, you are a font of interesting info! LOVE the story -- !! Hope all is going well -- Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Bridget said...

I had no idea that there was some logic behind that silly song, fascinating! I love to learn facts like that.
I'm very jealous of the hot chocolate and movie day, it sounds wonderful but I am not that organized yet!
Merry Christmas, Bridget

Anonymous said...

That song confused me too.Someone else blogged this this week.Finally,an answer..HA.Thank you so much for askin,you're such a sweetheart.He is much better.The surgeon said friday afternoon to wait until Monday.And see if the swelling went down.It has and the pain is much less.He has to go back to see him in the morning,but it looks so good,I feel the dr will release him...Ann
And no,I haven't wrapped one present yet.eeekkkkkkkkk

Justine said...

Holy cow, I never knew that! Never even thought about it! Wow, I've gotta tell my mil... she'll definitely be interested in this!

Oh, to be as prepared as you. I still have baking to do, many presents to wrap, and shoot, I'd better make a huge pot of sauce today so that Jimmy can make his eggplant parmesan!

Justine :o )

Lisa (aka) French said...

There's a new chapter;) Thought I would let you know since theydon't seem to be updating;) Hugs French;) xoxoxo

Jerry and Suzy said...

As always, dear Donna,your blog is a delight. The Twelve Days story is fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

Hugs from the LeRoys

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Donna...looks like you are definitely ready for Christmas!
:-) The little mice glasses you ask about are a Hallmark ornament I purchased many, many years ago. Maybe you could find one on eBay...or as clever as you are, I bet you could make one! Thanks so much for the wonderful comments you leave. I'm off from work for a few days...finallllly...so I'm hoping to be able to visit around to some of the blogs! :-) Love ya, Susan

Dawn Marie said...

I've never heard of that--how neat! The song will mean something different now.

Sounds like your ready...we are also. Today I'm going to finish Baldymans gift..I always get him clothes--which I did but this year he wanted The liquors that you need to make Irish Coffee. I decided to cut back on his clothing and actually get him something he asked for. So I"m off to find Jamaison Whiskey, Jack Daniels, and Bailey's Irish Cream...glad I dont like that stuff. I hope to find very small bottles!

We are off to the movies today to!

Lisa (aka) French said...

Thanks for stopping in;) I realized that i had put Aunt Olivia and it should have been Nana Olivia so I changed it! lol It's hard to catch all the errors until I read it over and over...of course I only ever seem to catch them after it has been posted (go figure) lol Hugs and thanks for being so wonderful!!! French xoxox

nikkicrumpet said...

Yes..I'm done..but my list was soooo much smaller than yours. And that was really interesting info on that song. I've always wondered about that one myself!

Anonymous said...

WATCH FOR THE VIDEO.I JUST SENT IT...ANN

Anonymous said...

That's so intriguing. I wonder how many other songs carry hidden meanings.

Thanks for the little nugget of Christmas history.

Sharon said...

Wow! I never knew that and I'm so slow I never even wondered about it. Just thought it is a fun little children's Christmas song. Thanks for enlightening me!

Deb said...

Hi Donna! I love this! I've this before but not this year. It's always good no matter how many times you read it. Thanks so much for sharing it really brings things back to where they are suppose to be although I'm still running trying to put the last minute touches on my shopping. Deb

Anonymous said...

Afternoon, Dear Donna! Oh, I have never known this about this song. Always have loved the song! How marvelous to know this. I'm so glad you're so smart and did all of this research for us. I'll never hear the song again without thinking of you and your lesson. Dearest, Donna, I love you too and have so enjoyed getting to know you thru Blogland. I pray you and your family will have a wonderful Christmas,
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Picket said...

Hey girl...I just got to make two cakes and a dressing & I will be thru! lol Great history lesson girl..I didn't know that..thanks so much for being there for me sweetie...You are such a treasure! Merry Christmas to you & yours girl! ♥

Kathy said...

I still have a few things to be done, looks like you are all set, Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and very happy New Year, hugs, Kathy.

Sue said...

Mornin Donna! I'm dropping by to wish you the Merriest Christmas ever!! Have a Happy New Year too! xoxo

Photobucket

Get your mamogram & check up today... Early detection saved my life....

breast_cancer_survivor

My Awards