★•.•´¯`•.•★Campground Reviews★•.•´¯`•.•★

click above link to visit our campground reviews

Saturday, April 14, 2012

"Savannah ~ My Hearts Desire"

What can I say about Savannah ~ I just LOVE this Old Charming City so much that I never tire visiting it. The Old Southern Homes, the 24 parks adorned with huge oak trees draped in moss, the history that waits for you around every cornier, the Southern kindness that greets you everywhere you turn and the fabulous food. Such as Mrs Wilkes ~ Southern hospitality and cooking, served family style and Paula Deen's ~ Lady & Sons ~ Yummy Southern Buffet... Not a surprise in a town with so much history that there are many ghost stories you can here all about from all the locals...

One of my favorite stories is "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil". If you have not already read the book or seen the movie I highly recommend it. It is a 1997 American drama which was based on real-life events in the 1980s. It is a tale of Savannah's eccentricities focuses on a murder and the subsequent trials of Jim Williams:

Because of the presence of The Bird Girl in the movie and on the book cover, Bonaventure Cemetery was made a popular tourist attraction. Due to tourists disrupting and damaging
neighboring graves while posing with the statue, The Bird Girl no longer stands in the cemetery and is in the museum. However, there are many other beautiful statues and sites in Bonaventure Cemetery. Also pictured here is the Johnny Mercer House (song writer of over 1000 songs including Moon River & You must have been a beautiful baby) where Williams threw his annual Christmas parties for the cream of society. Apparently, the shooting occurred in the study - lower right hand window. Today, the house has been restored and is now a museum.



I have taken hundreds of photos and would love to share them all with you but that would be such a never ending post ~ lol. So I have made yet another slide show of the homes and sites we have seen during our time here in Savannah... This is a wonderful place to visit!

We Stayed in a GREAT RV park while we visited this area ~ Hardeeville RV Park in Hardeeville South Carolina. Click on the RV park name to see my complete review of this nice park. It was only about 10 minutes north of Savannah and easy access to the historic city! We also got a 2 day pass on the Old Town Trolley while visiting Savannah and it made it really easy getting around the area plus they tell you a lot of the history of the area.

Have Fun, Travel Safe & Stay Healthy!!!

7 comments:

Travels with Emma said...

Very interesting post for me as I'm hoping to visit Savannah next fall. Thanks.

Happytrails said...

Great slide show!! I think I already posted this but...Mike and I plan a visit to Savannah this summer or early fall. We were going in May but it depends on our little doggies back troubles whether we make that date or not!!
It is a most beautiful town!!

Karen and Al said...

We hope to go back there this summer. We visited a few years ago with some friends but all she wanted to do was go to the shops!! Grrrrr...and we didn't get to see much.

hobopals said...

My daughter and I will be visiting Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine the end of May. She had originally taken time off to visit me somewhere in the west, but that trip isn't going to happen. Since she can't change her vacation time, we decided on this trip. I'd prefer it was earlier in the year or in the fall, but it is what it is. I just hope the bugs and the heat aren't too bad.

Charleston is my favorite city; Savannah second. I loved Midnight in the Garden of Good an Evil--book and movie, too. Have watched it several times.

Once my husband called to me and said, "Nancy, the tall ships are going to sail down the river into Savannah at 3 p.m." We jumped in the motorhome and got there just as the first ship rounded the bend--incredible site.

I camped over at Skidaway Island a couple of years ago, with a group of friends. Savannah and the surrounding area is beautiful-no doubt about it. I can't remember if it was you who visited Jekyll and St. Simons, but if you can make reservations for Cumberland while you're on the coast--do. I'll go back and look, now.

You've got me second guessing myself--we're staying at Savanna Oaks--has good reviews on the Campground review site. (I find that's a great resource and hope everyone in the blogging world contributes to it)

I enjoyed your slide show--will watch, again. Makes me anxious to go! Thanks for the post.

Sue and Doug said...

great tour as always Donna!..you captured the essence of Savannah!

Jeff said...

Super slide show-captured the essence of Savannah.

Travelwithwhippets said...

We love both Charleston and Savannah, but like Savannah a little bit better. We spent Christmas day there during our first winter of retirement and will always remember it. Thanks for the great memories.

Photobucket

Get your mamogram & check up today... Early detection saved my life....

breast_cancer_survivor

My Awards