|Can you see the face in the tree???|
Broadway Historic District - Includes Garland, Essex, State, Park and Center Streets
This historic district is protected under local ordinances and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A favorable neighborhood to the lumber barons in the early to late 19th century, this district features Greek Revival, Italianate, Colonial Revival and Second Empire architectural details covering 500 acres and 19 buildings.
The Broadway Historic District is modeled after Boston's Beacon Hill, featuring a green space where the first residences were built, with double rows of elm trees lining the street for the first couple of blocks of the roadway. Broadway Park is the center of the district and is a great place to stop and have a picnic with the family. The Fire of 1911 destroyed part of the Broadway Historic District, which was mostly rebuilt but as more elite neighborhoods were created, Broadway lost popularity as a residential spot.
Thomas Hill Standpipe, which holds l,750,000 gallons of water, is a riveted wrought iron tank with a wood frame jacket located on Thomas Hill. The tank is 50 feet high and 75 feet in diameter. Built in l897, it is the District's oldest standpipe and has been in use since its construction. Its purpose is the same today: to help regulate Bangor's water pressure in the downtown area and to provide water storage for emergencies. The standpipe is really two structures in one. The standpipe itself consists of steel plates riveted one outside the other. The building which enclosed it is 85 feet in diameter and 110 feet high. The 24 main posts which extend up past the observation deck begin at the base of the structure. Of hard pine, they measure 12x12 inches and are 48 feet long.
The entire structure has a stone foundation 9 feet high and 3 1/2 feet thick at the base. The sill atop the foundation is made of bent pine planks and is 14 inches thick. Along the interior wall of the facade is a winding staircase which leads to the promenade deck encircling the top of the building. The deck is 12 feet wide and 280 feet in circumference. To erect the wooden part of the structure took 42,000 feet of hard pine and 22,000 cedar shingles. When constructed in 1898, the contractor employed 22 men and erected a portable saw mill and blacksmith shop on the site. The entire project took about six months to complete.
We went to the Casino for dinner and to play for a little while when we noticed the statue of Paul Bunyan across the street... It is a symbol of the lumber era where a lot of people made a fortune.
We had a ton of fun exploring Bangor and will be seeing what else we can get into here~