Jeykll Island ~ April 5th, 2012
Jekyll Island Historic District, a National Historic Landmark
that is situated on the southeast side of Jekyll Island.
Occupied by the Guale Indians who called the area Ospo. Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, maintained an outpost on the island, and a plantation was established by one of his officers, Maj. William Horton. In 1794 a French family, the du Bignons,bought the island. They retained possession until 1886 when the island was sold to the newly formed "Jekyll Island Club." The house was built of a material called Tabby. Tabby is a building material consisting of lime, sand, water, and crushed oyster shells. It seems to be very strong and these are the remains of the house that both Horton & the du Bignons owned.
Considered to be the most exclusive social club in the United States, the Jekyll
Island Club had a limit of 100 members, among them the Astors, Goodyear, Vanderbilts,
Pulitzers, Morgans, Macys and McCormicks
A club house was built on the island and members constructed private "cottages". Indian Mound, the twenty-five room home of the Rockefeller family; the Goodyear Cottage completed in 1906: Crane Cottage, circa 1917, the largest and most lavish of the cottages; the original Club House, a wood and brick Victorian structure with towers and manicured lawns; and Faith Chapel, built in 1904 in the Gothic style. The chapel also has a large signed Tiffany stained glass window.
Moss Cottage (Macy) ~ Indian Mound (Goodyear)